In case you can’t tell, we here at MissouriHCADV are big fans of the Missouri Coalition Against Domestic & Sexual Violence. They describe themselves best: “MCADSV is a statewide membership coalition of organizations and individuals working to end violence against women and their children through direct services and social and systemic change.” They do great work all across the state of Missouri. We highly, highly recommend that healthcare providers and students become members of MCADSV. Why?
- it’s dirt cheap — $45 for providers, $25 for students– AND potentially tax-deductible as a professional expense if you itemize
- you can put it down on your resume as an organization you belong to (great for students who plan on a career in women’s health, in particular)
- you are stepping up to the plate to show that you support the work that they do
- you get access to incredible resources which will help YOU in your work– FREE trainings, technical assistance, publications, and manuals; discounted conference registration (they have a fantastic annual conference); regular updates on local & national legislation relevant to violence against women.
To join up, visit here: http://www.mocadsv.org/Become%20a%20Member.aspx
To check out their website & online calendar! www.mocadsv.org
You don’t have to join MCADSV to access their excellent trainings… you can just pay for the trainings as a non-member. But since the cost of one training = the cost of annual membership, it’s really much more cost-effective to join, because then you access the trainings for free… Along with all the aforementioned benefits. Here’s a good training coming up:
Register for MCADSV The Basics of Advocacy Fall Course. MCADSV is now offering the basics of domestic violence advocacy in six days of training. You can register for as many or as few dates as you wish. Each training date requires a separate registration. Trainings are offered in pairs of back-to-back days to reduce travel for those attending multiple trainings. This expanded training allows time for in-depth discussion and processing. We hope that attendees who participate in the entire course will build upon prior skills and development with each new section.
Training is held from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. You may register online at www.mocadsv.org/membership at least a week prior to the training. Space is limited to 40. Breakfast and lunch are provided. The workshop is held at the MCADSV Training Center in Jefferson City. There is ample parking. Please see the attached brochure for more information.
- The Nature and Dynamics of Domestic Violence , July 25: Trainer: Laura Zahnd
- The Nature and Dynamics of Sexual Violence, July 26: Trainer: Jennifer Carter
- Core Services: Hotline, Crisis Intervention and Safety Planning, September 26: Trainers: Jennifer Carter and Gail Reynoso
- Prevention as Social Change, September 27: Trainers: Matthew Huffman and Marie Montano
- Cultural Considerations and Program Accessibility, October 24: Trainers: Angela Lucero and Marie Montano
- Core Services: Legal and Medical Advocacy,October 25:Trainers: Kelly Martinez and Gail Reynoso
CEUs or contact hours from The University of Missouri are approved for each individual training as well as the entire course. Attendees will only need to pay the $10 CEU/contact hour fee one time to receive credit for the entire course or any combination of training days!
If you have any questions, please contact MCADSV at (888) 666-1911.