Who is Missouri HCADV?
This site is for people who care about intimate partner violence and health — healthcare providers and professionals, domestic violence advocates, researchers, students, survivors of violence. I am a nurse and violence prevention scientist, and this is one of my spaces for sharing information and resources I encounter. Since I’m in Missouri and I talk to a lot of healthcare providers, advocates, and survivors in this state, I share lots of stuff specific to this area, but I also share national and international resources and information as well.
Why should anyone care about this issue? First: violence and trauma histories are common, they affect health, and — although healthcare provider training, board exams, and institutional policies often fail to reflect this reality– healthcare providers can make a tremendous difference for their patients who are violence survivors.
What is this site for?
- To share evidence-based information on domestic violence and its impact on health
- To share information on local, regional, and national training/continuing education opportunities about domestic violence for providers, advocates, and students
- To increase our individual capacity (and that of our organizations) to address domestic violence and help survivors.
This site does not provide crisis services. If you need help for yourself or a friend/family member living with violence, contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline for free, confidential information — 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Trained advocates staff this hotline and can help (http://www.thehotline.org/help/what-to-expect-when-you-contact-the-hotline/). How to contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline:
- Phone: 1-800-799-7233 (that’s 1-800-799-SAFE)
- TTY: 1-800-787-3224
- Live chat: http://www.thehotline.org/what-is-live-chat/
How to contact me: If you would like more information about this site or you have resources or information you’d like to share here, please contact me — the site administrator, Dr. Tina Bloom:
- b l o o m t @ m i s s o u r i . e d u
- or complete this contact form:
- I’m also on Twitter: @tinaleebloom .